Sunday, April 11, 2010

If my life were boring...I wouldn't have a blog.

So blogging is becoming a Sunday night thing. Maybe this will be a weekly blog. Maybe I'll make it to where it is published every Monday at 12am. Maybe one day it will be super popular and people will stay up on Sunday night to read my blog for the week? I like it.

The end of the school year is approaching. I can count the weeks on my fingers...i think. This week was pretty eventful you could say. Lots of things were planned including Passover Seder, UIB President and Vice President elections, Student Government Association "Meet the Candidates", Green Initiative Presentation for Dr. Schneider, and April Open House.

Monday I went to a Jews for Jesus Passover Seder with the roommate. She is a "Jewish Believer". Being from Oklahoma, I had never met an actual Jew before. Judaism is fascinating to me, I had never been to a seder, bar-mitzvah, bat-mitzah, or any sort of mitzvah for that matter. Rae had mentioned that I may be the only asian and to not be uncomfortable, it was no big deal. Little did we know that the seder was actually held at the Boston CHINESE Evangelical Church. Rae (the Jew) was ended up being the minority. I was dying, it was one of the most ironic moments of my life. We ended up at a table with a nice women's ministry group from CT and a nice family from Warwick. Of the course the people we met from RI knew someone that we knew, that happens when we go to any event. Vera and Hugh Fisher and their daughter Sarah and friend Casey were old friends of Pastor Ted...such a small world...such a small state. The people who were in charge of the seder were the nicest but oddest couple ever. The wife was a Chinese/Jew/convert to Christian and her husband was an Israelite...the Cohen's.

Wednesday were elections for UIB, luckily I ran un-opposed for vice president because I was a mess during my speech and q&a session in front of the entire general board. We had 2 really great candidates for President, I had a bit of difficulty deciding who to vote for. Both would be great. I feel that one was better at speaking in front of the board but the other one had more leadership experience. The more experienced one ended up winning. Now the 2 of us get to go through the applications for the other coordinator positions, I am really excited to start making some important decisions.



Thursday after class the Green Initiative Team got together to put "last minute" touch ups to our presentation Friday morning. As a team we were just expecting the presentation to come together on its own and it didn't hit us until the day before the presentation that we had a lot of work to do before this was ready to be presented in front of the University's President and Vice President along with the rest of the President's Leadership Council. The presentation ended up being pretty lengthy to where we never even ran the entire thing through completely. After that meeting, Rae and I had to rush over to the SGA meet and greet. We ended up being pretty late for it, it kinda caused a bit of a scene. I have to admit, I agreed to run for student government initially for a "resume builder", but after it was specifically pointed out that it was more than that, I am pretty excited to be a part of the House of Representatives for the school. The House deals with the clubs and orgs on campus, including appropriations and establishment of new clubs and orgs. This will be one more way I can get on the inside of this school. I am already in the Admissions department, the next step is obviously Student Activities. One department I refuse to take part in is ResLife. I have no interest in being an RA or FDM, no thanks.
Supporting TOMS One Day Without Shoes by wearing my TOMS. Barefoot in downtown Providence=some sort of disease.


Friday was the big day. Presentation day. We decided it would be a good idea to get there over an hour early to practice, considering we hadn't gone through the entire presentation w/out any stops once. The first run through was rough, but they improved as the morning went on. When show time came around, we appeared to be well versed and rehearsed. It ended up being very successful. We failed to mention only one thing and that was a budget for our proposal. We found out that our Johnson and Wales is a lot "greener" than we thought. The problem is that it is not advertised at all. Our new Harborside is LEED certified and we recycle over 400 tons of material in a year. Imagine how much we could be recycling if we had an "umbrella" recycling program all over campus. Our presentation impressed a lot of the PLC students and the faculty as well as get them really excited about going green.

Saturday, April Open House, was pretty much like any other Open House. Since I am a full time tour guide I have to take the big groups. Business Administration/Management/Undecided group had over 80 people. They made the 4 of us full time tour guides split it. It didn't end of being too bad except that this group of students are more than likely undecided so they're usually not the most enthusiastic bunch. They typically don't ask very many questions either so the tour has it's awkward silences. I got to wear my new CAT sweatshirt with khakis. I think that this should be the uniform for Open Houses, it looks really nice when we're in uniform. All those years of being in uniform with color/winterguard and band must have rubbed off.
Later that evening Rae, Cameron, and I went to see opening night of Urinetown. Te Jay was the star and Marc Coda was the villian, I had to see it. No way I was missing it. It was hilarious. Cameron was being a snob about how amateur it was since he went to a performing arts school. There is no way of enjoying anything if you are critiquing it the entire time. Yes, it was not a professional musical, that's why it fun. Considering that JWU is not a liberal arts school at all, the production was pretty good. I can tell they worked hard on it.

Sunday, Rae and I went to Downcity church as usual. Ted's sermon was on the Downcity church "covenant" that he had drafted. I have been feeling questionable spiritually. I know I don't discuss spirituality on this blog often. I don't really discuss spirituality much in all other aspects of my life either and that is a bad thing. I am requesting prayers for myself. It was brought to my attention that I am a "church dater", one who just goes to church on Sunday and forget about it for the rest of the week. I am not fully committed in my spiritual life, and I don't like thinking of myself as someone who fears commitment. I don't fear committing to anything else BUT the church. Struggling, but the first step is recognizing the problem.

In addition, since we worked the Princess Half-Marathon in Disney, I was determined to take advantage of this perfect weather and start running around the city. This week I finally dug out the running shoes and did it. Today Rae and I ran up College Hill, around the Eastside and back downtown. Nearly 2.5 miles. I feel fabulous...a little sore, but in a good way. I'm really excited about my plan to become a runner. My goal is to run a 5K in the near future. Who knows, maybe someday I will run the Princess Half-Marathon someday soon. To motivate me, I will be posting my progress.

Well that was my crazy week. I'm off to live another one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...