Monday, March 8, 2010

Disney World, third time around

Just returned from my trip to Disney World with JWU Special Events Society. It was such an awesome trip, but so exhausting. I am a firm believer in visiting Disney at all different stages in life. I went and experienced it when I was 7 as a child. I also went as a freshman in high school, and I got to experience it as a performer in Disney World. And this trip, I got a behind the scenes experience by volunteering and meeting with the people who make the whole experience happen. The E-Board for SES did a fantastic job planning this trip for all of us. We had just the right amount of fun, work experience, and learn something too.
The E-board arranged meetings and tours for us with people in every part of the Sports/Entertainment/Events industry. The first day, we met with the Disney Event Group which is Disney's event production team. They have everything you need to put an event together under one roof, such as: creative team, florist, set designer, photographer, costume designer, etc. They mainly do big budget corporate development meetings. Day 2, we met at the wedding pavilion at the Grand Floridian and met with the wedding planners. There we learned about the 3 different types of weddings they put on, they do about 1,200 weddings a year in Disney World. Day 3, we did our first day of volunteering at the "Fit for a Princess" Expo where we registered the marathon runners and distributed their goodys and tshirts. After volunteering, we met with the youth group coordinator and the sports coordinator. I am convinced the youth group coordinator knows Harvey Price because their department handles the school music groups and cheer and dance squads. The sports coordinator took us around the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. The Atlanta Braves do their spring training there so we got to see a spring training game going on. Day 4, we volunteered again at the expo doing the same thing and then was given the rest of the day to rest up for the marathon the next day. Day 5, we reported for duty at 2am for the marathon. We did baggage check and baggage claim for the 14,000 marathon runners. Our volunteer coordinator said that we ran the smoothest baggage check ever and invited us back anytime.
In between all of the working and learning we did have fun time budgeted. We managed to fit in time for all 4 parks, a private dinner in Epcot to watch the fireworks show, and a character breakfast. I also got to escape the group for a little while and see Tabitha and Joseph and catch up.
Now I'm back in Providence, my last trimester of the year starts tomorrow. I am officially a sophomore this term. I have been quite the traveler lately, I'm pretty sure I've done enough travelling in 3 weeks to last me awhile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...